Independence Community College (ICC) is a two-year institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. It was established in 1925 as grades 13 and 14 of the Independence public school system. In 1967, the college legally separtated from the school district. Construction of the new community college on a 68 acre campus, formerly the Independence Country Club, began in 1969. Classes began at the new site in September 1970. Our campus is now home to the Academic Building, Fine Arts Building, Student Union, Cessna Learning Center, Field House, Administration Building, Inge Center for the Arts, athletic practice fields, soccer field, disc golf course, 96-bed multi-structure living complex, and a 200 bed residence hall.
With many renovations to a donated building, in 2010, we expanded our college to include ICC West (2615 West Main Street). This campus is located on the west side of Independence and is home to our technical programs: Allied Health, EMT, Cosmetology, and GED/ABE. Additional renovations were completed in 2012 to accomodate our newest program, Veterinary Technology. This state-of-the-art facility includes animal wards, a classroom, lab, surgery, pharmacy, prep room, small animal treatment, food prep, grooming, and radiology.
ICC also has a presence downtown with the ICC Foundation office and a partnership with the Innovative Business Resource Center.
Currently, our educational and support programming includes 46 programs of study for Associates of Arts and/or Science degrees, 22 programs of study for Certificate com